Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Lost Blogs Day Two

I haven’t posted for a while,catching up a lot has happened bad internet connection and I’ve been on the mend. The Scotsman shot me, not that he meant to…I should start from the beginning. Taking the shotgun we had purchased I went after some grouse we were in desperate need of some meat. We’ve been living on cakes and tea. The cakes are made with flour and water without leavening toasted on the coals, even crackers being more of a luxury than our funds will allow. The gun was worthless every time I shot it missed it couldn’t hit anything. Scottie said perhaps it was sighted too high, he would check it later. Walking through the heavy winter snow we came to an abandoned little cabin of sugar pine shakes, and though we had arrived early in the afternoon we decided to camp here for the night as the trail was buried in the snow, which was about six feet deep. I cleared away the snow from the door and floor of the cabin, and made a bed in it of boughs of silver fir. Wanting to have some meat, I reminded Scottie about the gun. Then I nailed a piece of paper to the cabin as a target. Calling fire away, I went into the cabin. Scottie shot the target…burning agony… God bless us all…but it hurt the shot went right through the wall and struck me. I am not ashamed to say I screamed. The pellets had to be picked out of my flesh with the point of a penknife.

We found our way easily enough over the deep snow to the falls below the snowline, were we spent ten days exploring. While exploring the falls we made sketches, collected flowers and ferns, etc. The night before our return trip we camped near the meadows, as we lay eating our suppers by the light of the campfire, we heard something approaching in the darkness, and then I saw it was a bear! I said to Scottie you take the gun you’re the better shot! Shoot him! The gun was already loaded with bird shot he added some buckshot on top of the bird shot then held the gun pointed at the bear as we sat hushed waiting. After what seemed a long time, the beast walked off. Afraid of another visit we were awake most of the night.

Want to know more about Lost Blogs? Try these links.
The Lost Blogs and Kapgar

5 comments:

nicolegail said...

Beautiful, well written entry. My first guess was Harry Whittington, but I'm thinking that's wrong. :-)

Looking forward to tomorrow’s entry.

Anonymous said...

I have no idea who you are, yet your writing is wonderful. I can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

Ha! That was my first thought too Nicole. Like every other entry on every other blog, I have no clue. I can't wait for day three.

Anonymous said...

Wait, I think I got it. Now I'm really pumped for day three.

*lynne* said...

no guesses, but love the writing style :-) looking fwd to the next installment :-)