Thursday, March 09, 2006

Writing

I just finished writing a post. Instead of posting it I asked myself why did I write this? Nobody wants to read it. Then I gave the mouse a little push and clicked on save as a draft.

I have done this repeatedly. I want to write things down but I am unsure about anyone reading what I write. Then I opened Julia Cameron's book the Right to Write and read these words "in order to be a good writer, I have to be willing to be a bad writer. I have to be willing to let my thoughts and images be as contradictory as the evening firing its fireworks outside my window. In other words, let it all in- every little detail that catches your fancy..."

I know this is true when I paint; I know it is essential to give myself permission to paint a bad painting. There is no faster way to ruin a painting than to decide it has to be great or, God forbid, perfect. I've learned not to listen to myself when I start telling myself that what I am painting is terrible or fantastic. Experience has taught me that I have no perspective on the quality of a piece while I am working on it. For some reason it doesn't bother me to paint a lousy painting. Sometimes I remember this when I blog but other times I forget and then I don't want to post.

4 comments:

Endment said...

Couldn't have said it better!!!

For what its worth:
"One hundred percent of the shots you don't take
don't go in."

Wayne Gretzky

GreenishLady said...

I'm so glad you chose to write.

Beltane said...

You know it's okay to not share what we write here. The important thing is to write. I have really enjoyed reading your blog and always look forward to reading anything you want to share and hope that you will write for a long time. The art that you share is soooo incrediable
Love Candi

SB said...

Compost. Practice. Compost.