Sunday, January 29, 2006

Staten Island Memorial

My Artist’s date didn't go as planned.

For my Artist’s date I planned to go to Battery Park but it didn’t work out that way. When I got to the ferry I realized that I had a half hour wait; I hadn't brought a book with me --- another planning error.

I really didn't want to wait so I decided to follow the walkway along the shore. After I passed the Ferry Terminal and the ballpark there was a sign: Staten Island Sept11 Memorial. I followed the sign. From the stairway its curved walls stand against the Manhattan skyline as if they are wings ready to take flight. Along the walls are carved the names of Staten Island residents who died during 9/11 and remembrances left by visitors. As I stood at the monument and looked out over the water I could see where the towers had been.…

After visiting the monument I continued up the walk, watched the ships go by and listened to the trees talk. I tried to imagine what it would have been like to have been born a tree.…as I looked at the deep scars along their trunks, I realized trees have pain and tragedy also.

No comments: